Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Question about custom props?
Shadoa
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:31:37 AM(UTC)

Okay I know there is listed of free textures/props or whatever but my question is.... How do you use them? XD I'm very new with zaby and was looking for such shelving units or cabinets for a zaby but I can't seem to find out how to use such props xD

I just checked about 30 some topics and the search doesn't help too much as I can only search with one word and half the time it brings up unrelated things i have no interest in reading. xD

Also, if it is custom and the other person doesn't have it downloaded, does it show up?[like uvtexture doesn't show if you don't have them]
RedOdile
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:41:02 AM(UTC)

Shadoa wrote:
Okay I know there is listed of free textures/props or whatever but my question is.... How do you use them? XD I'm very new with zaby and was looking for such shelving units or cabinets for a zaby but I can't seem to find out how to use such props xD

I just checked about 30 some topics and the search doesn't help too much as I can only search with one word and half the time it brings up unrelated things i have no interest in reading. xD

Also, if it is custom and the other person doesn't have it downloaded, does it show up?[like uvtexture doesn't show if you don't have them]

Yeah, the Search feature doesn't work well. I find it helps if you search within one particular section and expand the results to yield 10 or 25 rather than 5.

The only props we can use are those in the Prod Editor. When you hear someone refer to something as a "custom prop," s/he means something built out of those props to create something that doesn't exist as a whole. For example, I used the generic torus, candles, tables, and mermaid headboards to create this seafood platter:

People build all kinds of things -- boats, motorcycles, furniture, animals. The familiar props are simply manipulated -- textured, sized, stretched, positioned carefully, etc. And because these props are in the Prop Editor, part of the UV files in our computers, everyone can see them.

Textures are added with the scripts Attach Cached Web Image (or something like that) and Attach Flash. It takes some experimenting and trial and error to get things to look just the way you want, but that's really all there is to it.

I hope this helps.
Waving from another world with ausmate by my side. -12/2011
MT_girl
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:43:24 AM(UTC)

I see that this was answered as I was writing my explanation but....

First, you can't use custom props. By that I mean, you can't create a 3D prop in a third party software and use in in RLC. You can make things by modifying the existing props but that is all. You can apply different colors, textures etc to these existing props. For the actual prop editor instructions, I would suggest starting here...

http://www.utherverse.co...pEditorGuide/index.html

Also, the thread "Everything you need to know about your zaby" is a good resource. It is permanently displayed at the beginning of this forum.

I hope this helps,

MT

Shadoa
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:00:19 AM(UTC)

Everytime I attach an image with the web cache, theres a black portion on it. Why is that? [I haven't however searched for this yet]

As for the rest thank you and to MT_girl I arleady read those pretty much but they didn't really answer my questions on the subject lol
MrsTLdarkechylde
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:02:27 AM(UTC)

Shadoa wrote:
Everytime I attach an image with the web cache, theres a black portion on it. Why is that? [I haven't however searched for this yet]

As for the rest thank you and to MT_girl I arleady read those pretty much but they didn't really answer my questions on the subject lol

Check your options and see what your texture detail is set to. Sometimes when you set it to med or low this will happen.
Perve Me! I dare ya!

Love your haters...their your biggest fans!

They are scarred for the simple fact that no one explained to them that they were supposed to burn their bras AFTER they took them off....~Fuck Wad Tongue

Shadoa
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:27:46 AM(UTC)

darkechylde_TL wrote:
Shadoa wrote:

Check your options and see what your texture detail is set to. Sometimes when you set it to med or low this will happen.

Odd but thats it then. As I rarely if ever have my settings to high due to lag. (My pc is pretty shitty)

Thanks Chylde! Wink
RedOdile
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:51:25 AM(UTC)

Shadoa wrote:

Hmmm...what are your questions?
Goddess_Sent
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:04:59 PM(UTC)

RedOdile wrote:
For example, I used the generic torus, candles, tables, and mermaid headboards to create this seafood platter:

First of all ... this is absolutely gorgeous

Secondly this has been stuck in my head since yesterday like a puzzle .. I can see the mermaid headboards .. and I think the prawns are generic torus .. but the rest?!?!?

a question is a question is a question and nothing else
Originally Posted by: MidnightFairy Go to Quoted Post
Don't confuse giving useful suggestions as bitching! This is the general discussion and suggestion section; it's not the "agree with everything that's currently going on" section!
RedOdile
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:44:21 PM(UTC)

Goddess_Sent wrote:
RedOdile wrote:
For example, I used the generic torus, candles, tables, and mermaid headboards to create this seafood platter:

Secondly this has been stuck in my head since yesterday like a puzzle .. I can see the mermaid headboards .. and I think the prawns are generic torus .. but the rest?!?!?

Thanks, GS. Yep, two mermaid headboards make up each oyster. The meaty part inside is the Zaby_table_2. The shrimp is the generic torus, yes. The lemon slices are on candles. There's a textured empty plate. There's also a textured vase for the bowl and a moon for the sauce. Here are most of the textures (no hot linking please):

Goddess_Sent
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:57:38 PM(UTC)

RedOdile wrote:
Goddess_Sent wrote:
RedOdile wrote:

Thanks, GS. Yep, two mermaid headboards make up each oyster. The meaty part inside is the Zaby_table_2. The shrimp is the generic torus, yes. The lemon slices are on candles. There's a textured empty plate. There's also a textured vase for the bowl and a moon for the sauce. Here are most of the textures (no hot linking please):

The candle is basically a generic cylinder and the moon a generic sphere ...right? or do they have other properties too?

Think can the Tea Cups be textured? .... you should make a whole dinner sevice and sell it for a 100 Rays Grin Grin Grin

Don't confuse giving useful suggestions as bitching! This is the general discussion and suggestion section; it's not the "agree with everything that's currently going on" section!
RedOdile
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:22:39 PM(UTC)

Goddess_Sent wrote:

The candle is basically a generic cylinder and the moon a generic sphere ...right? or do they have other properties too?

Think can the Tea Cups be textured? .... you should make a whole dinner sevice and sell it for a 100 Rays Grin Grin Grin

100? More like 300! Grin

I think the candle is rounder than the generic cylinder, which is more octagonal with sharper edges. The moon and the sphere are both round, but they take textures differently.

And yes, you can texture the tea cups. Use the Flash script.
StondTmplPilot
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:02:27 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Wow RedO, great seafood plate!

Inked_Minx wrote:

pussy knows when it's gonna get eatenWink Grin

Murasaki_Hime wrote:
Quote:
I'll say dream big, and then find a way to pull that perfection into reality.

Goddess_Sent
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:07:49 PM(UTC)

Shadoa wrote:

Since you feel like your question has not been answered ... I will tell you a story to explain ... lol

Shelving Units or Cabinets:

So I start by seaching for shelf and shelving and create all the ones it throws up at me.

Now none of those are perfect but will do ...BUT I don't like the woodgrain on either. SO I try to see if I can change the woodgrain. The quickest way to check if a prop takes textures is to check this thread ...

the long way to check if a prop takes a texture is to test it out... so I go to the Script Tab and select Cached Web Image ...

On my browser...

1) I look for images of a woodgrain I do like. there are plenty of textures sites listed in the Everthing You Need to Know About Zaby thread .. I could've decided I wanted steel shelves and looked for a steel texture instead.
2) I save the images to my Photobucket ... they can be saved on your profile images too ... this saves you losing the image if the original site stops hosting it.

Then I copy and paste the URL of the image into the box (it would have an existing URL ...just replace it ...have to use CTRL+V to paste) ... since the grain doesn't change after I press Enter... the prop doesn't take images.

I repeat the process with the other shelf and it doesn't take the texture either.

So I accept that I will have to use multiple props to make this shelf and start again looking for props made out of wood. This table looks promising...

Ah ...yes ... with Unlit checked this looks like a good woodgrain..

But when I decrease the Y Scale ... its too thin to look like a shelf ...

And increasing the Y Scale makes it look less like a shelf ...

So .... I fall back to old faithful wall which I know I can abuse as much as Iike ...and add my chosen texure to it.... ie chose Cache Web Image under Script and put the URL of the texture image into the box

I decrease the Y scale till its narrow enough to look like a shelf ...

Rotate it 90 degrees on X axis

and decrease the Z scale till its thin enough to look like a shelf

Put it next to the wall to see the size

Increase the X scale till its long enough

Then I clone it .... note that clones always create +100 on the Z Position than the original

on the clone I put the Z position back by 100 and increase the Y Position till it is where the next shelf up should be.

You should by now have a good idea of how the rest goes .... and I am NOT telling a man (I assume you are from the choice of avatar pic) how to put up shelves ... cause those are the kinds of things that mean that I am never getting married ... and I'd quite like to get married so I can put RedOdile's dinner service on my weddng gift list ... heaven knows I can't afford 300 Rays ... Grin Grin Grin

Quote:

custom textures have to added as Web Images ..so everyone can see the textures and there is no need for others to have the texture saved on their hard drive as they do for clothing textures.

Now you have to tell me if that was any help otherwise I won't bother wasting time on part 2 of the saga Grin Grin Grin
StondTmplPilot
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:18:11 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Did you try using "Attach Flash" script to change the appearance of the original shelves? this works on many props, not sure about the shelves though.

Inked_Minx wrote:

pussy knows when it's gonna get eatenWink Grin

Murasaki_Hime wrote:
Quote:
I'll say dream big, and then find a way to pull that perfection into reality.

Goddess_Sent
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:25:32 PM(UTC)

Vvs_Pilot wrote:
Did you try using "Attach Flash" script to change the appearance of the original shelves? this works on many props, not sure about the shelves though.

I've barely gotten the hang of attaching images ... will get around to learning flash, swf etc soon enough... I just felt that maybe a complete novice writing to another complete novice would help them a little.

About the shelves... the Tuscan is my fave as it is ... I have two of the dark brown ones in their original too ... I was just talking through a thought process rather than declaring my dislike for the original textures ... lol
ausmate
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:28:23 PM(UTC)

Medals:
RedOdile wrote:
Goddess_Sent wrote:

100? More like 300! Grin

I think the candle is rounder than the generic cylinder, which is more octagonal with sharper edges. The moon and the sphere are both round, but they take textures differently.

keep it at 100..call it a cage

Goddess_Sent
#17 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 12:06:20 AM(UTC)

Custom Cabinets Part 2:This is going to be shorter and less patronising lol

So here is my Wardrobe and Chest of Drawers set. TBH I don't even know if there are existing prop versions of these items... I just had an image in my head and knew it would be simpler just making it from scratch.

To start I just used the Block Shelving Unit seen above and sized and placed it where I wanted... that the insides don't look like a wardrobe is not an issue cause they won't be seen.

then I used a Door prop and sized and placed it in front of the shelving unit... I could've used Wall or Sign but Door starts off the right kind of proportions.

Then I add the URL for the door image to door ...et viola! .. my wardrobe...

But where did I get the door image I hear you ask... WELL, I could've used the textures shared in the threads listed in the Everything You Need to Know About Zaby thread ... but since I am a masochist .. I started with this image which I found on google

And made this for the Wardrobe door

And this for the chest of drawers front. .. chest of drawers is same process as wardrobe just different scale.

Obviously the images were uploaded to photobucket so I could have URL's for them.

seasonsheart
#18 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 1:21:51 AM(UTC)

ausmate wrote:
RedOdile wrote:
Goddess_Sent wrote:

100? More like 300! Grin

Sigh enough all ready. you do realize that 100 rays is equal to 9.00 depending on the exchange rate. That’s cheap by any standards. 9.00 for doing the research on the right texture, photo shopping all those pieces, figuring out which prop to use and placing the shrimp etc. and on and on for 9 bucks well that is probably less then what people make in communist china.

UVT Style Catalogue is now open!

Come visit the catalogue and easily find free outfits! Now you can dress wonderfully and easily. Also those of you who love to coordinate outfits please please please contribute to the catalogue. Designers you will also win if you participate. Read all the info and how to on the first page for more info.
Please remember if you do post pics that you put a copy of the pic in your blog along with the corresponding code as seen in my blog. Thanks all!
Enjoy!

We really need people to start uploading. Lets make this an awesome place for people to find clothes.
hugs
Seasons

PS please repost to two friends you think might love this. uvt style catalogue

seasonsheart
#19 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 1:26:41 AM(UTC)

Goddess_Sent and Red you guys rock.
The hours of work you put into these help threads takes ages. I hope people realize how much time and effort it takes to do these things. They better send you some rays as your not flilppen rlc employees.

UVT Style Catalogue is now open!

Come visit the catalogue and easily find free outfits! Now you can dress wonderfully and easily. Also those of you who love to coordinate outfits please please please contribute to the catalogue. Designers you will also win if you participate. Read all the info and how to on the first page for more info.
Please remember if you do post pics that you put a copy of the pic in your blog along with the corresponding code as seen in my blog. Thanks all!
Enjoy!

We really need people to start uploading. Lets make this an awesome place for people to find clothes.
hugs
Seasons

PS please repost to two friends you think might love this. uvt style catalogue

Dernhelm
#20 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 1:27:33 AM(UTC)

Quick way to check if something takes cached web image is to delete the script that's there and the bits that turn red will take new image.
Inked_Minx
#21 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 1:32:05 AM(UTC)

seasonsheart wrote:
ausmate wrote:
RedOdile wrote:
Goddess_Sent wrote:

100? More like 300! Grin

Sigh enough all ready. you do realize that 100 rays is equal to 9.00 depending on the exchange rate. That’s cheap by any standards. 9.00 for doing the research on the right texture, photo shopping all those pieces, figuring out which prop to use and placing the shrimp etc. and on and on for 9 bucks well that is probably less then what people make in communist china.

Is it? is it enough already, sorry haven't read my bulletins.

TFF
“The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.”

Groucho Marx

“He who is passionate and hasty, is generally honest; it is your cool dissembling hypocrite, of whom you should beware”

"The liberty of the press would be an empty sound, and no man would venture to write on any subject, however, pure his purpose, without an attorney at one elbow and a counsel at the other. From minds thus subdued by the fear of punishment, there could issue no works of genius to expand the empire of human reason."
Thomas Erskine
Dali and Disney= AWESOMENESS
RedOdile
#22 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 1:41:41 AM(UTC)

seasonsheart wrote:
The hours of work you put into these help threads takes ages. I hope people realize how much time and effort it takes to do these things. They better send you some rays as your not flilppen rlc employees.

I'm not flilppen; I'm Cuban. Grin

And honestly, I thank you, but I love UV and I love working on this stuff. I don't really care about the rays. I have the most bizarre relationship with rays. I want to earn them and I do charge for Zaby decorating and clothing textures (not too much, I hope). I'm super ray greedy, but I hoard them, lol. I don't even use them to pay for my VIP. Mostly I just want to have them so I can buy more clothes, throw parties, and buy stuff for my Friends.
Goddess_Sent
#23 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 8:21:28 AM(UTC)

seasonsheart wrote:

LOL .. I'll still be sitting in a grey zaby on an ugly white bed poking a fish to make it swim if it wasn't for these kinds of basic instructions from the likes of Xaoz and Rachel ... or trawling google for images and cleaning them up if it wasn't for the gazillions shared by people and listed in the Everything thread ... which is why after I got a couple little things under my belt I am trying to share it here.
Goddess_Sent
#24 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:01:32 AM(UTC)

Vvs_Pilot wrote:

Thanks for this and to Inked-Minx for letting me know that simple jpegs work with the Flash Script ...

I've tried to retexture both the shelves using the Flash Script and this is the result both with jpegs and pngs... white spaces which DO NOT exist on the image itself.

Strangely it doesn't happen when I used a flat texture from Xaoz's 'paint for walls' collection... which gives very different results for the two props.

Any ideas... solutions?

RedOdile
#25 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:47:05 AM(UTC)

Goddess_Sent wrote:
Vvs_Pilot wrote:

Thanks for this and to Inked-Minx for letting me know that simple jpegs work with the Flash Script ...

I've tried to retexture both the shelves using the Flash Script and this is the result both with jpegs and pngs... white spaces which DO NOT exist on the image itself.

<snip>

Any ideas... solutions?

For Flash, try to adjust the size by scrolling down to the Height and Length boxes in Script tab. Begin by setting them to the size of the image plus 25. So, for example, if the image is 640px wide, set the width to 665. Do the same for the length. Scale it using the Scale field in the Script tab, not the Scale tab.