Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
A Little How-To Guide: Grabbing Textures from UVD and applying them to your avatar
LordSilverTongue
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 5:46:29 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I've been dabbling in Design for a while now, and I keep being asked how to get textures from UVD onto one's avatar. Hence I decided to write this little How-To-Guide, hoping to make life a little easier for all of us:

Step 1 - Register at UVDeviant.com

UVD charges 5 rays a month... not a lot, considering the amount of textures you can get there. But first you have to register, then you have to pay (it's easy, but I truly cannot remember which button to click... if you are unsure hor that works, take a look at the UVD FAQs (that part easy enough even for me to understand!). Here's what the registration form looks like:

Step 2 - Browse the Catalogue

Now you can look at all the textures in the UVTStlye Catalogue (button is in the UVDeviant.com website) until you find something you like...

Let's assume you want to get that set of black leather pants and matching boots in the catalogue above. Click on it.

Step 3 - Grabbing an Outfit

When you click on an outfit in the cataloge, a window like this one should pop up. In it you see the button "Grab".

Click that button.
Well done! Smile

If all went well, you are now informed that this outfit has been added to "my styles".

You can click on the text "my styles" right away, or close the window and continue shopping. To go to the "My Styles" Section at any time, log in at the UVDeviant.com website and click on "My Styles" in the top right corner of the catalogue.

Step 4 - Getting the textures

Your avatar does not automatically wear newly acquired outfits. More complicated than UtherCloset? Yes. But a lot cheaper, too, plus you can combine textures more freely, so be a sport and bear with me.
Next, go to the "My Styles" section of the catalogue as described above. You will see a list of the outfits and textures you have grabbed so far. In my example, the list is rather short: Wink

When you move your list over the outfits in the "List o' Styles", you will see texture names to the right. The names consist of rather odd numbers, but that's alright. Copy and Paste will allow you to transfer them to your profile without difficulty.

Step 5 - Dressing up your Avatar

You have the textures, you know their names, now it's time to put them on:
Open a new browser window, go to your utherverse/virtual vancouver/red light center/whatever profile page and click on "Edit Profile", then on "Avatar":

Now you can see a list of your outfits, and below that a detailed list of textures your avatar is currently wearing:

This is where the textures have to go. Simply copy and paste them into the appropriate lines. If meshes are part of your new outfit, paste the name of the mesh into the appropriate line.
In my example, that means that the boot mesh "HM_shoes5.gml" goes where it says "FootMesh".

Important: there is a box to the right of each texture line. Per default it says "Public". If you use textures from UVdeviant, you MUST set this to "UVtextures", otherwise the textures will appear grey in world. This is only necessary for textures, not for meshes (they are public).

Step 6 - Saving an Outfit

When you have entered all the textures that make up your outfit, click the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the page:

If you log into RLC now, your avatar will be wearing your new outfit. However, you ought to save it under a memorable name right away: after saving, scroll to the top of the page, type in a name for this outfit that you will remember where it says "Outfit Name", and click "Save Outfit":

That's it, you did it!

Now enjoy your new clothes, and don't forget to let the designers know
if you appreciate their creations!

Greetings, Silver
Sexy
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:00:38 AM(UTC)

Location: In green country.... with allergies?? What was I thinking.......
Medals:
Very nicely done LordSilverTongue Applause Applause

*can we possibly sticky this one so it doesn't get lost again in the shuffle*

Mrs_Jenna_Legant
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:08:16 AM(UTC)

And don't forget the Dress Me classes ! Smile
Sugarlicious
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:37:33 AM(UTC)

Wow! This is awesome, thanks for putting this together. I will definitely be referring people to this in the very near future.
You know you can't help but click here Smile

UVD Development

Part of the funniest post I have ever read
SYNTHESPIA2 wrote:
sugarlicious or whatever her name is usually steps in for the "fuck you" role.
_volcano_man_
#5 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 4:43:02 PM(UTC)

Lisa_Swallows
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 12:47:59 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I've followed the steps described herein, and yet my avatar is still grayed out when I apply the new mesh. What am I doign wrong?
MalevolentBeauty
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 12:56:27 PM(UTC)

the most common problem with being gray is not changing the little drop down box to the right of the texture to UVTextures. Also be sure to save the changes before you store the outfit.

Perv me ya know you want to...Click it c'mon dooooo it!

Originally Posted by: Cougarrrr Go to Quoted Post
I'm not positive, but I think if you scroll through "race" in your closet, you might be able to find your face.
Lisa_Swallows
#8 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 6:15:04 PM(UTC)

Medals:
MalevolentBeauty wrote:
the most common problem with being gray is not changing the little drop down box to the right of the texture to UVTextures. Also be sure to save the changes before you store the outfit.

No, I changed the drop down box to UVTextures, and saved the changes before storing the outfit. I followed the instructions to the letter, but it's still not working.
The_Black_Rieder
#9 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 9:10:12 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Make sure you actually have .png on the end of the file name. Something like the skirt mesh would remain Public but the skirt skin would be UVT on the up/down arrow. The actual order of saving is save the avatar first at the bottom of the page. this then sends you to the top of the page where you name and save the outfit. It has to be done in that order. If it still fails then send a message to the person you purchased from and tell them the problem. Then see how you go from there.

Sam
Lisa_Swallows
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 06, 2010 1:01:05 AM(UTC)

Medals:
SamanthaXD wrote:
Make sure you actually have .png on the end of the file name. Something like the skirt mesh would remain Public but the skirt skin would be UVT on the up/down arrow. The actual order of saving is save the avatar first at the bottom of the page. this then sends you to the top of the page where you name and save the outfit. It has to be done in that order. If it still fails then send a message to the person you purchased from and tell them the problem. Then see how you go from there.

Sam

My BF fixed the problem. I have to log out of Utherverse before I paste and save the changes. I'm fine noq, tx.
XOXOX