Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Textures/Props/Signs-----HELP!
Sundance13
#1 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 9:59:16 PM(UTC)

Medals:
OK...So I have read SEVERAL post about textures, signs and props. Here is my question(s)....

1) Are signs the only way to add your own props?

2) If signs are the only way to add your own props, how do you size/sculpt items like flowers,chairs to look REAL and not have boarders?

3) So, when someone re does a sofa with their own look, is this just several signs?

Thanks everyone for any help you can offer. I am 2 months in UV and just trying to figure everything out. Again, looked everywhere in the forum for answers to these questions and could not find any.

Sundance
The_Wraith
#2 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 11:41:51 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Signs are good for walls and posters. If your doing furniture like chairs and sofas then you want to get the prop map and change the texture on them. You can look through this post and see examples of custom prop maps.
http://www.utherverse.co...spx?g=posts&t=52979
Code:
http://www.utherverse.com/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=52979

There's also this thread that has links to a lot of the good posts in the forums that explain how to do different things.
http://www.utherverse.co...spx?g=posts&t=57410
Code:
http://www.utherverse.com/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=57410

Hope this helps.

Click banner to go to site.
Donations are always welcome :-)
bandia
#3 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 11:58:07 PM(UTC)

Sundance13 wrote:
OK...So I have read SEVERAL post about textures, signs and props. Here is my question(s)....

1) Are signs the only way to add your own props?

2) If signs are the only way to add your own props, how do you size/sculpt items like flowers,chairs to look REAL and not have boarders?

3) So, when someone re does a sofa with their own look, is this just several signs?

Thanks everyone for any help you can offer. I am 2 months in UV and just trying to figure everything out. Again, looked everywhere in the forum for answers to these questions and could not find any.

Sundance

Signs are a poor choice for walls, pictures, carpets and a lot of other applications. What makes them a poor choice is that they tend to have a very 2 dimensional look to them. My prop of choice is the door. It is easier to work with on several levels and usually download faster than signs.
The_Wraith
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 12:50:03 AM(UTC)

Medals:
bandia wrote:

Signs are a poor choice for walls, pictures, carpets and a lot of other applications. What makes them a poor choice is that they tend to have a very 2 dimensional look to them. My prop of choice is the door. It is easier to work with on several levels and usually download faster than signs.

What several levels would that be.

bandia
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 1:16:14 AM(UTC)

The_Wraith wrote:
bandia wrote:

What several levels would that be.

First doors are easier to mold against walls. a plane is too flat and it is either too far away from the wall or too close to it. Obviously this also applies to rugs or anything else that requires a prop to be up against another prop. Because you can imbed the door prop into a wall (or preferably another door that is serving as a wall (or floor etc) looking at the prop from a side angle doesn't make the prop appear to be floating in limbo. Thickness of the door can also be adjusted and using it for a door for example means one prop instead of 2. Unlike other props like walls for example, doors stretch on only 2 sides instead of all four which makes them easier to place and work with. And of course as I mentioned before, door textures seem to download faster than sign textures do.
Monaro66
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:08:15 AM(UTC)

Medals:
image download speed is not prop relevant it is image size relevant or flash as opposed to attach web image(or swf's gif's emitters etc)...the door prop also has the issue that it carries the texture over to the side of the door and doesnt center the texture.on each face of the prop ...the wall has a similer issue if you wish to be able to expand it and use the four sides as it rotates the texture on the sides...if you are after a prop and the texture is scaleable the partition a saves time and texture scale as it tiles the texture twice and does not rotate the texture on the sides..also this helps with scaling a wall texture on uneven lengths as you then use a cobination of walls and partitiona's to keep the same pattern scale(if you dont image edit your pattern to scale ) obvioulsy it isnt good for a single picture as you will have two of them side by side...if you after a 3d look for pics on the walls and dont wish to use the flat signs the 3d sign is very good for this..as it does have depth...bear in kind it also carries a portion of the image to the sides but does it equally...there is also the brick wall prop which also tiles seamless textures for walls or carpets etc which works very well...there is no right or wrong prop to use with respect to walls and signs etc it is personal choice...as far as scaling textures if you dont do it in an image editor there is numerous props that will tile an image for longer lengths so you dont have stretch or out of scale images...this also applies to animated textures...for example there is 5 sign planes all with the same name but each one tiles animated textures differently as do a number of other props....so if ya want for example 5 or ten rows of animated flashing lights from the animated section in your club you can use one prop instead of 5 or 10

over a period of time myself and some others have done a number of bulk prop tests on signs walls and other props to test fps rates when using hundreds of a single prop to measure this so far i have not found any difference in props only the difference in type of images etc...the other day i almost nuked a site as i did 300 animated flash props in one site as a test to see what would happen.....lol...was kinda scary my vram usage went up to over a gig and everything started flashing on and off including the rlc installed sky...took me an hour of getting booted continously before i was able to delete all props again...lol...and on the other side of the scale i have a site which some of you have seen that has on display over 300 animated props from the editor with no lag and high fps...so yea as some have mentioned before it is a balance but there is some myths out there....and most still comes down to experimentation and personal choice

in respect to the op's post of making your own props you can only do this with multi props or by the use of transparency and image editing to change the original props into something else..e.g plants convertable or as wraith said with prop map editing ...etc etc etc

cheers all

with regards
monaro66

Sundance13
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:22:28 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Thank you so much for your reply....I will look up the mapping thing and see what I come up with.

So nice of you to reply! ;-)
Sundance13
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:31:56 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Wraith,

Thanks again for posting a reply.But, I am still confused with MAPS? How do you use them, I have no clue and the link you posted for answers has none of the answers I am looking for. :-(

How do people get maps INTO the prop area? Are we suppose to upload?

Here is my biggest question.... Are the props in prop editor the ONLY items we can use but we just adjust them,add maps and textures to get the look we want? And if so how can I do this?

Thanks again!

Monaro66
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:40:30 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Sundance13 wrote:
Wraith,

Thanks again for posting a reply.But, I am still confused with MAPS? How do you use them, I have no clue and the link you posted for answers has none of the answers I am looking for. :-(

Here is my biggest question.... Are the props in prop editor the ONLY items we can use but we just adjust them,add maps and textures to get the look we want? And if so how can I do this?

Thanks again!

ok basically a map is a texture/skin for a prop...first thing you need to do is have a hosting service like photobucket for your textures images or maps....then you select the prop you go to script tab and scroll down to either attach web image or attach flash(dependant on the prop)...you then go to your image in photbucket for example and when you run your cursor over the image a drop down list of links will appear...right click the direct link and copy...then go to the attach web image or flash section and ctrl v the link into the space provided....sometimes you will also have to then go to the state tab section and scroll down the settings and tick texture unlit and texture double sided...then close...for standard images...there is other bits for png transparent images but get used to the normal first...lol.... thats all there is to it...

cheers and good luck

with regards
monaro66
Sundance13
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:36:46 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Thanks Monaro! :-) Such nice people on here that help! LOVE IT!

So one more question........ I have added a texture but how do you mold it? Like when I add a texture it just adds it to one side.

Oh wait! Let me ask you this...... do I copy a prop ( from UV ) into photobucket and then correct it/change it in there?

WOW...thanks again, so impressed with how you all take the time to help!

Cheers!
Monaro66
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:42:28 AM(UTC)

Medals:
you dont mold a prop....lol......and if you tick double sided the texture will be on both sides of the sign..and no you cannot copy a prop from uv...you can only really change a physical prop by adding a texture to it....or size scaling

also on your profile page there is the basic utherverse beginners guide to the editor....and in the top part of this zaby section there is stickies wth a super zaby thread with heaps of information that should keep you busy for a long time...

cheers

with regards
monaro66

The_Wraith
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 9:59:51 AM(UTC)

Medals:
That's one thing about Utherverse. You can't create your own props. You have to use what is available in the editor. You can retexture almost anything in there though. And with a little imagination you can combine existing props to create new items.

Sundance13
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:05:20 AM(UTC)

Medals:
WAHOOOO!! You answered all my questions! AND QUICK AT THAT!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
bandia
#14 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 1:22:40 PM(UTC)

Monaro66 wrote:
Sundance13 wrote:
Wraith,

Thanks again!

.first thing you need to do is have a hosting service like photobucket for your textures images or maps.

actually, the photo albums on your profile work quite well an especially regarding photos you don't have to worry about them being deleted by photobucket.

As to your other comment, I am often invited to the properties of other who ask my assessment as far as design, lag and download time is concerned. Consequently I have been to a lot of properties and i can always tell when someone is using signs in the construction process. It looks like the design was built out of construction paper with very little depth.

Though I would tend to agree that download time shouldn't be different from signs to doors experience has shown me otherwise. Also to be noted use cached web images whenever you can, they download much faster.
HP_SIMI_AH_HBK
#15 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:04:25 PM(UTC)

Medals:
if you use Utherverse to hold especially png files there will be a black back ground added to them. Plus I have over 15000 textures in my PB account with very little deletion from PB also if you lock certain folders cantaining questionable pics they normally will let them go because they cannot be viewed by the general public
And I shaved my legs for THIS?????

Monaro66
#16 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 4:22:34 PM(UTC)

Medals:
yes you can store your images on your profile account but bear in mind if you put any image up there that is to the power of 2 and 512x512 it will automatically downsize them to 500x500...this will cause your images to have shrinkback for anyone that runs their pc on medium or low rlc video settings so the largets size image to put on your profile would be 256 x 256...which is also fine in most cases unless you have an image that is required for a prop that is highly detailed....as you get into it more and gain more knowledge you can also google game development sites to learn more about images and sizing that will help you with your deco experience

cheers all

with regards
monaro66
The_Wraith
#17 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 6:43:42 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Actually it doesn't matter what size the image is. When you upload it it gets sized up to 500 pixels. I tried an image that was 256x128 and once uploaded it was scaled to 500x250. So that makes your profile pics pretty much useless for any textures. Well in my opinion anyway. I know there are those that don't care about texture size and refuse to admit that it can make a difference.