Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
how to use meshes when doing clothes design
XXXExquisiteXXX
#1 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 7:00:16 PM(UTC)

can anyone tell me how to use meshes when doing clothes design and hair?? ive been trying to make some but it frustrate me that i cant. i dont know what to do. i dont know what thats meshes for.. how to use that? and what is that for? i see lots of meshes listed in some forum here. but i just letters like HF_hair etchetera.. how can i use that word to make clothes??? please anyone help me..
The_Black_Rieder
#2 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 9:04:34 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Think of a mesh like a chassis of a car, it holds the rest up and the shape, texture and colour are built on it. Only with clothing its more of a 2D flat shape and must stick to the perimeters of the mesh, you cannot create your own mesh at the moment either. Whilst sticking to the perimeters what I mean is only the texture on the mesh itself will show. But its best to overlap the edges so in the example of clothes the seams are covered up, failure means a gap.

The forum stickies (top part of the forum threads) contain links to meshes. Best to collect these in a series of folders, named so they are easy to find. I use a folder called Meshes, then sub folders for male and female, then maybe separate sub folders for wings, tattoos, hair (not done that yet) etc. It may be easy to bung things anywhere and find them for now but it certainly isn`t a few weeks down the line. Doing this doesn`t half make life a lot easier later.

You need to stick to sizes like 512x512 for meshes, some early ones were 500x500 so best to resize. This then allows those on medium texture settings to see the clothes as designed, as well as those on high settings. It also reduces lag, setting at 1024x1024 to work on them is fine as long as they are reduced to 512x512 to upload. Though some things like jewelery may be left at that higher size, again I haven`t produced any of that.

When using UVD you need to stick to traditional naming conventions for your textures, these are all listed in the UVD site. One thing is for certain at the moment however, whatever file name you upload to test, the next test has to have the name changed slightly or the texture may not show. The final upload needs the name changing again, here is an example of a female Tee Shirt naming structure;

UFUT_SamsWear_123456.png

OK, UFUT is used to describe the Female torso as declared on the UVD site (see there for more examples and reasons). No spaces are allowed so underscores are used instead, my Clothing Designer Label follows and I personally use a system for spaces where the Capital Letter forms a word that would have started after a space (you don`t have to do this, I just do it myself) so Sams (invisible space) Wear is depicted by SamsWear then the file name itself. Now you can use any name and I said to change it each time. But what I do the final time is use a random number generator freely available on the internet and create a number using a seed of 32000, this then becomes the filename and I keep a copy in the folder with that release date in the folder name. So I know what that file name is. In this way Shirt1, shirt2 cannot easilly be discovered. UVD changes the file name but if you give any out yourself you`d be using Shirt1.png, Shirt2.png etc and cannot change them after upload. So 123456.png and 4823762.png are better file names to use. If you use shirt.png to test with, then make the next test of the same shirt shirt1.png and then shirt2.png and this takes care of the filename changes.

You can initially on upload run them as a test by ticking a box, that gives you one hour to test them inworld. Change the filename slightly and upload again after the test, marking the box to get another hour. This is useful if for example you have multiple textures to test and run out of time. As I said final upload should change name again and this is the only point at which I`d advise use of a number generator.

Enough for now but whatever you want to produce I`d say pick something easy to start with like a tee shirt. It will give you confidence in creating a texture, using the system, testing, renaming and mesh practice. All necessary components in the learning process. Above all else remember to take breaks, keep it fun and be prepared for mistakes and failures. It wouldn`t be fun if it was easy.

Now start here;

UV Deviant site

and just read, read, read..... forget about doing anything but getting the structure of your folders sorted for now, other than collecting meshes, reading tutorials. You need to be fully conversant with some kind of art package too so take time to learn a popular one or learn a new one as I did at the start and still am doing.

Sam
The_Black_Rieder
#3 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 9:22:50 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Think of meshes also like this. You have a car chassis and you weld on some brackets for the radiator so that extends the chassis. Well in clothing you have the torso mesh for the top (like a tee shirt), the head mesh so you get ahead Wink the leg mesh, the pants mesh etc etc so they`re all bolt on parts to make the chassis a bit bigger and able to take more textures.

But lets say you have a torso mesh with a crop top on, a leg mesh has a skirt on it to which you applied a texture of your own. But you want a dress. Well unfortunately a dress is not one complete outfit as it appears. Its modular, it has a separate top on the torso, skirt on the skirt mesh but leaves a gap between the two. So what you do is make a pair of shorts on the pants mesh the same texture as the rest and that covers the gap. The fun part is lining them up, but some designers provide coloured meshes to make the whole process easier. Me, I use good ole trial and error cos I`m a lucky so and so and make it work. Wink Grin

Theirs also a UV glitch that allows the bum to show through pants/skirts as the avatar moves. the shorts hides most of this glitch too. Grin So what you`re doing is adding bits of the chassis together to build up the desired shape and texture of the car and components. Or in our case the avatar brummmm brummmmm! Beep beep! Grin Grin

Sam
XHotnSexy4uX
#4 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 9:30:50 PM(UTC)

i just wanted to know how can i use the mesh. i saw the list of mesh here in forum. but i only see words.. like HF_hair_med.gml. what is this words all about? i mean how can i use that word? when im on my photoshop cs5 i tried to make a hair with shiny. its forbidden tutorial. and i made one just like she made. i saved it and i named it proper. then i tried to test it in uvdeviant. and i wear it but it doesnt work. do i need to use hair mesh for that? and if i need. how???
XHotnSexy4uX
#5 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 9:37:30 PM(UTC)

ive been studying this since yesterday on atleast how to do a shirt or how to use a female torso mesh. i have a female torso mesh already. i tried to make shirt. i open the torso in my photoshop but i dont know what to do next. all i can see is the torso with lines and dots... i know its funny but i dont know how.. i really appreciat that u are helping me. i really really want to learn how to make it. i know so many tutorials here in forum. but i still cant get how to even i follow the tutorials.. it take me hard to mesh. maybe i will need more specific teaching..
F0rbiddenX_FbX
#6 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 9:47:51 PM(UTC)

Medals:
yeah you need the hair mesh for it if you done it exactly like my tutorial you should have in "hairmesh" HF_Hair_Med.gml and make sure you have it set as public, and your hair design should be in hairskin and should be set as UVTEXTURE then it should work fine let me know how it goes, F0rbz
XHotnSexy4uX
#7 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 9:54:17 PM(UTC)

yes forbz ive done it exactly like your tutorial. its really look like that. but i didnt use hairmesh because i dont know how. where will i put HF_HAIR_MED.gml? i know im a slow learner. huhu..
F0rbiddenX_FbX
#8 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 10:48:42 PM(UTC)

Medals:
put it in hairmesh its above or below the hairskin were you put your designed code
Mr_Rich_GB
#9 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 10:52:30 PM(UTC)

Medals:
alll this is good but when you save the mesh files to your hardisk they dont save as mesh files they save as standard jpg??
bi_bi_love
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:04:01 AM(UTC)

Location: FBOTA V6.66 - Please feel free to bypass my posts, I tend to ramble ;)
DarkSide_CCD wrote:
alll this is good but when you save the mesh files to your hardisk they dont save as mesh files they save as standard jpg??

Depends on what program you use.
When you download the meshes (at least the ones from my post), they are jpg you are downloading. So yes, they will save as jpgs.
Then open them in your graphics program and save them in the native format, eg GIMP save them as .xcf

Also save you finished design in native format, then save as png (or jpg for skins), once you've hidden all the layers you don't want.
Depending on what program you use there are tutorials about for, at least, a 1st top.
GIMP - Basic Shirt & Other Tutorials for GIMP
PSP - by Liaria
Photoshop - Female T-Shirt Tutorial (in Photoshop) by Jarvis

I haven't seen one for paint.net, though there are some great tuts for other things using that.

Google layers for you program and have that open with the tutorial and away you go.

Qbag or cnenabvq
Vg vf nobhg lbh
Rand
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:05:50 AM(UTC)

The mesh file can be a jpg. That's fine.

Let's see if I can back up to the beginning and say things a different way.

1. Save the mesh files from the sticky thread mentioned above. Don't worry that they don't have have a .gml file extension. They shouldn't really since you'll be using them with your graphics software.

2. Open up your graphics software.

3. Open up the mesh file that matches the body part you're wanting to work on. If you want to make some hair, open the appropriate hair style mesh. If you want to make a women's shirt, open the female torso file.

4. The mesh itself doesn't end up being part of your final graphic. The lines you see there are just a guide for you to show you where to put color and texture in the canvas. It is a guide to show you where to cut things off if you want a short sleeved shirt instead of a long sleeved one. Or where the collar bone is. Or where the breasts are. etc.

5. In your graphics software the very first thing you'll want to do is create a New Layer. This New Layer will allow you to paint color and add texture so that it sits on top of the mesh lines.

6. When you've painted in all of the areas you want to cover you would then want to Hide the mesh layer in your graphic. From there you can save the file to photobucket or any other site that will allow you to access it with a standard URL address. With that URL address you can then plug your garment into the Prop Editor to put your piece of clothing on a mannequin In World to see what it looks like. Or you can also upload it as a Test Texture to your UVD account (you need an account there first of course) so that you can test it on an actual avatar. Doing it as a Test Texture makes it available to wear almost immediately, but the texture will only be there to wear for about an hour.

7. When you're all done with testing your piece of clothing and have it ready to wear, then you would upload it to UVD. This time do NOT upload it as a test texture. At this point it will need to go through the approval process, which typically will take a few days. When it's approved it'll show up as approved in your "My UVTexture" area at UVD. At this point you can wear it, add it to your UVStyle catalog to sell or give it away, etc.

RaD Fashions for Men and Women
Store Location: vww://utherverse.vww/@64021/radfashions

RaD Main Catalog

Transgender Fashions from RaD

The Learning Zone is open ... and Free! Location: vww://utherverse.vww/@64021/tlz
Now Includes Blender Tutorials!
XHotnSexy4uX
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:11:48 AM(UTC)

my problem was when i open a female torso and open a new layer. when i put color or something i cant see the torso.. i dont know how to hide it or trnasparent it.. can anyone put how exactly u do the clothes? if i just know that i can really make some.. im having problem with layers.
Xaoz
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:24:32 AM(UTC)

Medals:
XHotnSexy4uX wrote:
my problem was when i open a female torso and open a new layer. when i put color or something i cant see the torso.. i dont know how to hide it or trnasparent it.. can anyone put how exactly u do the clothes? if i just know that i can really make some.. im having problem with layers.

once you get the color you want, try lowering the opacity of the color layer just enough so that you can see the UV-MAP (or mesh) below it.

Please Shop responsibly and try before you buy
XHotnSexy4uX
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:07:24 AM(UTC)

what should i do after that? and what mesh im going save for that?
Rand
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 4:13:30 AM(UTC)

You're in photoshop right HnS?

I'll shoot you a message via your SC with a link to a little screen share broadcast I did for a group several months ago. It's pretty basic, but should get ya through your first shirt and give ya a leg up on everything else.

RaD Fashions for Men and Women
Store Location: vww://utherverse.vww/@64021/radfashions

RaD Main Catalog

Transgender Fashions from RaD

The Learning Zone is open ... and Free! Location: vww://utherverse.vww/@64021/tlz
Now Includes Blender Tutorials!